Is a recamier the same as a chaise longue?

What kind of chaise longue is this?  Photo by boopalina+bebe - CC-BY

What kind of chaise longue is this? Photo by boopalina+bebe - CC-BY

When you go hunting for  furniture, you may see an antique day-bed or sofa, fall in love with it, and not care what it’s called. Or you may want to know which of the various French names for different designs suits it best. Is a récamier the same as a chaise longue? And what about a méridienne or a duchesse brisée?

A chaise longue, meaning long chair, is a day-bed with a raised head-rest at one end to support you as you recline. It’s a kind of couch with either no “back” running the length of it, or a low one. It’s designed for stretching out on, though it can seat two or three people sitting upright. Chaise longue is an appropriate name for any furniture of this general type.

It applies not only to antique chaises with carved legs and scrolling backs, but also to many modern styles descended from them, including sun loungers. And because it’s such a good shape for lounging on, the chaise longue is now often called a chaise lounge, especially in American English.

Some varieties of chaise longue have their own special names. Strictly speaking, a récamier has two raised ends, and nothing on the long sides. It’s named after French society hostess Madame Récamier, who posed elegantly on a couch of this kind to have her portrait painted in 1800, and is sometimes  associated with French Empire (neo-classical) style. The shape is similar to a traditional lit bateau (boat bed) but made for the drawing room, not the bedroom. Other styles too are sometimes described as récamiers, and this is sanctioned by at least one major  English dictionary. The word can also be used to describe the reclining pose, not just the furniture. You may sometimes see the expressions ‘recamier sofa’ or ‘recamier couch’.

The joyously colourful contemporary chaise in the photograph above looks like a méridienne, with a high head-rest, and a lower foot-rest, joined by a a sloping piece. Whether or not they have anything at the foot end, méridiennes are asymmetrical day-beds, and are defined that way in the multi-volume Oxford English Dictionary. They were popular in the grand houses of France around the same time as the recamier, in the early 19th century. The name tells you to rest on it in the middle of the day, when the sun is near the meridian.

The duchesse is a slightly older design with a more chair-like back that curves round the sitter before sloping down towards two arms. It has the look of an armchair that’s been extended to support the legs. Often it’s in the duchesse brisée form,  divided into a chair plus long footstool, or two chairs with a stool in between. That makes sense since brisée means broken, but no-one knows if it’s called after any particular duchess.

One other name, more or less gone out of use, is dormeuse – a sleeper. Some of the names may be old-fashioned, or used only by enthusiasts, but the pieces they describe remain popular, and real antiques can fetch good prices at auction.

Related questions:

  • Were club chairs traditionally upholstered in leather?Were club chairs traditionally upholstered in leather? Club chairs owe a lot to Victorian advances in upholstery techniques. Earlier padded chairs just had a light layer of  horsehair stuffing - kept in place by  quilting in the 17th […]
  • What is a featherbed?What is a featherbed? A modern featherbed is a mattress topper filled with down, or a down and feather mixture, designed to add soft cosiness over a sprung or foam mattress base, and may even be laid on top […]
  • Why buy a down comforter or duvet?Why buy a down comforter or duvet? Sleeping under a duck- or goose-down comforter, or duvet, means you can keep warm under one of the lightest, most luxurious kinds of bedding. It will settle round you like a cosy […]
  • What is a coromandel screen?What is a coromandel screen? A coromandel screen is a Chinese folding screen coated in black or dark lacquer. The dark background is richly decorated with painted scenes from life or literature, or landscapes, and […]
  • What is an etagere?What is an etagere? What makes an etagere different from other sets of shelves? The name came into fashion in the 1850s when English adopted the French word étagère for a piece of furniture with open […]

  Need research? Quezi's researchers can answer your questions at uclue.com

Written by | 26,715 views | Tags: , , , , , ,

No Comments

Comments are closed.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Privacy Policy | Acknowledgements