Phamacy (photo by Clean Wal-Mart CC-BY)
There are more than 56,000 pharmacies in the United States. The NACDS reports that there are over 39,000 pharmacies operated by traditional chain pharmacy companies, supermarkets and mass merchants. In addition there are nearly 17,000 independent pharmacies. (1)
Walgreens and CVS dominate the drug store chain market with the largest number of stores and the highest sales.
According to Chain Drug Review, the top 10 drug store chains (1) by store count are:
- Walgreens – 6,971
- CVS Caremark – 6,308
- Rite Aid – 4,922
- Health Mart – 1,961
- Medicine Shoppe International – 1,303
- Longs – 526
- Duane Reade – 245
- USA Drug – 150
- Aurora Pharmacy – 129
- Kerr Drug – 102
The top 10 drug chains by dollar volume (2) are:
- Walgreens – $53.76 bil.
- CVS – 45.09 bil.
- Rite Aid – 24.33 bil.
- Longs – 5.26 bil.
- Health Mart – 3.90 bil.
- Medicine Shoppe International – 2.48 bil.
- Duane Reade – 1.69 bil.
- Marc Glassman – 1.13 bil.
- USADrug – 906.7 mil.
- Kinney Drugs – 666.9 mil.
Check out the number of pharmacies in Canada here.
(1) Store count
(2) Dollar volume
- How many credit cards and debit cards are there in the United States?
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there were 173 million credit cardholders in the United States in 2006 and that number is projected to grow to 181 million […]
- How many dog and cat owners are there in the United States?
According to the AVMA (1), there are more than 72 million pet dogs in the U.S. and nearly 82 million pet cats.
A little more than 43 million households own dogs and […]
- What are some statistics on the number of dentists in the United States?
How many dentists are there in the United States?
According to the latest data from the BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11, dentists held about 141,900 jobs in 2008
- What are some statistics on the number of veterinarians in the United States?
How many veterinarians are there in the United States?
According to the latest data from the BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook 2012-13, veterinarians held 61,400 jobs in 2010. […]
- What are some statistics about the pawn shop industry in the United States?
How many pawn shops are there in the United States?
There are over 11,000 pawn shops in the United States. (1)
There were 6,400 pawn shops in 2007. (2)
What is the size of […]
Need research? Quezi's researchers can answer your questions at uclue.com
RSS feed for comments on this post.